As a PC owner, you ought to check your laptop battery health very often so as to get an estimate of how long it can serve you on a single charge.
Well, if you’re confused about how to check your PC’s battery life then here’s a guide on how to check your windows 10 PC battery health using Command Prompt (CMD) for free.
This battery check-up is quite necessary to give your PC battery good battery life, know many hours it can last before it runs down and also know when one is due for a change.
In addition, several factors determine the durability of a PC battery, a few of which are: age, temperature, brand, power demands and much more, although, it’s believed that the best batteries should last at least 10+ hours on a single charge.
Although, all windows laptops have a “Battery Report Tool” feature that helps diagnose the health of your laptop battery. However, in this article, we’re going to show you how to easily get your battery report with the use of a CMD command.
How to Check Windows 10 PC Battery Health using CMD
The reason for using the Command Prompt is because it’s the fastest way to access the battery report tool, although if you know how to follow the other cut it’s still cool.
Now, take note as we take you through the battery report checking process,
- Click on the Start button, search for “CMD” and run as administrator
- Next, Next, use the “powercfg /batteryreport” command to get your battery report.
- If successful, you should get a prompt saying “Battery life report saved to file path C:Users*****battery-report.html.
Now, all you need to do is locate where the file is saved to (a . HTML file), follow any of the below methods to reach the saved document.
- Navigate to your file manager > Windows 10 (C:) > Users > i.e Lukasso > Locate the Battery-report.html file and click to open with any browser.
- Click on the Start button, search for battery-report and a search to occur > Hit on the result and launch it
Next, After you’ve open the “Battery-report” file using any installed web browser; you should see a long list of information, including battery usage, usage history, battery capacity history and so on.
Once you’ve this list then you can diagnose the battery health of your PC using all of these pieces of information.
How to Check Laptop Battery Health: What to Lookup
If you want to get the best report on how long your PC’s battery should last then you should skip to the Battery Life estimates section of your generated report, you should see an estimate of how long your battery should last based on how you’ve been using it in the past.
Also, note that errors might arise in the generated estimates since they’re imperfect auto-generated estimates; especially if you haven’t used the laptop for some time.
While checking the Battery Life Estimates, I suggest you focus on the:
1. Active Headings: This estimates how long your laptop should last based on recent usage, formated in Hours, minutes and seconds…
2. At Full Charge: This is how long your battery can last currently since its purchase.
3. At Design Capacity: This is an estimate of how long your battery could have lasted if you just got it new from the company.
You can decide to also proceed to check the Battery Capacity History section to get insight on Full Charge Capacity against Design Capacity.
The Full Charge Capacity is simply a measurement of how much power it actually hold meanwhile the former means the amount of power it was designed to hold.
So once you notice that your laptop full charge capacity has dropped to 25% – 50% than its designed capacity then it’s time to consider a battery replacement.
Lastly, let me give you one last tip on how to test your battery life all by yourself to confirm if the battery report tool is accurate.
How to Check Your PC Battery Life by Yourself
As I said earlier, this guide is for those who ain’t satisfied with the battery life estimates and would like to test the battery themselves. Here’s how:
- After you’ve generated a battery report as outline above, navigate to the Battery Usage section to see a chart of how the battery was used over the past few days.
- Now, charge the battery up to the brim and then drain it to zero without hibernating or going to sleep.
- You can also close any automated power-consumption features to get the best result.
- Now, start the discharging process by either watching a movie, playing a game or any task that will keep you busy.
- Keep a check on the time from which you started using the PC till when the power goes off.
Performing these tasks every month provides a good way to get an updated estimate on how long your battery can carry you on a full charge.
You can run these checks every few months with different workloads that drain the battery faster to stay updated on your laptop battery life.
This Article was Originally Posted on Lukastech Blog – We Expound Technology. If you enjoyed the post be sure to visit our site and follow us on Twitter, Facebook.