If you’re seeking to prevent or stop spying or data-stealing on your Xiaomi device then this post is made specifically for you.
Xiaomi which is a high-end smartphone producer with many popular phone brands to its credit claims all data it collects is anonymized, although the security researchers’ findings have disputed this…
According to the research, The Chinese company will keep collecting incognito browser data unless users are aware of the toggle and explicitly opt-out.
Also, Read > How to Stop Facebook From Tracking your Offline Activities
Xiaomi denied these allegations of collecting users data and spying on their browsing activities, it mentioned that data are collected with users’ consent, and such data are collected to personalize advertisements or as they say – “to enhance user experience.”
If you’re a new or existing Xiaomi phone user; it’s important to know that data collection is turned on by default for most default apps(Mi Browser, Themes, Security, and more) on the Xiaomi smartphone brand.
Well, let’s see ways you can protect your data and privacy on Xiaomi devices.
How To Stop Xiaomi’s MIUI From Collecting Your Data
As I said earlier, Mi User Interface collects your data to serve you with personalized ads. You can prevent the MIUI from collecting your data by revoking its data collection privileges.
Read on to learn how to go about this.
- Navigate to “Settings” > Locate “Additional Settings”
- Now, check for “Authorization & Revocation“
- Toggle off the “MIUI system Ads” button
- Follow any prompt and wait for at least 8 seconds for the “Revoke” button to come up.
- If you get a “Couldn’t Revoke Authorization” prompt, then; turn on your data connection and retry the above step.
How to Disable Ads Services and Data Usage Collection.
Now, let’s see how to stop ads and spammy notifications on your Xiaomi device in order to enjoy an ad-free experience on MIUI.
- Now, We’ll continue from the “Additional Settings” menu
- Select “Privacy” > Next, toggle OFF the “User Experience Program” and the “Send diagnostic data automatically” to stop Xiaomi from sending your data automatically to its server.
- In addition, click on the “Ad Services” in the “Additional Settings” menu and choose “Disable Personal Ads Recommendation” so as to prevent Xiaomi from collecting your personal data to serve ads.
How To Prevent Mi Security From Sending Data Usage Report
- Simply launch the Mi security app > Navigate to Settings
- Next, Disable the “Receive Recommendation” option.
- Now, back to ” Settings” and select the “Data Usage Option”.
- Finally, Turn off the “Report data usage info button”.
How To Prevent Mi Browser From Collecting Data Even In Incognito Mode
- First, launch the Xiaomi Mi browser > Tap on the hamburger menu at the top-right corner,
- Select “Settings” > Find the “Advanced” option,
- Then, “Disable” the show ads option,
- Now, find the “Advanced” option from the “Settings Menu“,
- Open “Privacy and Security” in the “Advanced” option.
- Next, Toggle off the “Personalized Services” to prevent the collection of data.
- If you don’t use Mi Browser at all, tap on “Revoke Authorization” to stop the browser from functioning until you allow it again.
You can now use your Xiaomi device with full assurance that your privacy is intact… Although, you might have installed other apps which spy on your activities…
However, to improve your security; we’ll highlight and briefly illustrate how to disable and turn off data collection and spying on the below app.
- Launch the Cleaner App > Settings > Turn OFF “Receive Recommendations“.
Do well to repeat this step after every update because this option will turn ON automatically after every update.
2. File manager
- Open the File Manager > Settings > About > Disable Recommendations
3. Lockscreen Ads
- Open Settings > LockScreen > Glance for Mi > Turn OFF this feature.
4. Mi downloads
- Open the download app in the Tool section > Hit the 3-dot menu at the top right corner > Disable the “Show recommended content” option
5. Music and Video players
Launch Xiaomi music > settings > Advance settings > Turn OFF “Receive Recommendations” and “Show online recommendations on startup” option.
6. Home screen ads in MIUI
- Open Settings > Home Screen and disable App Vault
- Open the Themes App > My page
- Select “Settings” > Turn OFF Recommendations.
8. Disable spammy notifications from apps
By long-pressing and disabling notifications for that particular app.
With the above guide, I believe you can now stop Xiaomi from spying on you and stealing your data.
If you’re a Xiaomi user, we’ll love to hear from you… How do you feel knowing your device is been used to spy and monitor your day-to-day activities?
And what do you notice after you’ve turned off every possible means they should have used in spying and stealing your data?
Kindly share and drop a comment below.