You can decide to pin an app to the screen before giving your phone to someone you don’t trust.
The main function of the Android “app pinning” feature is to ensure a user stays on an app by preventing them from leaving the app.
I don’t need to remind you that anyone can access a lot of information about you if they get hold of your smartphone, however, if you want to hand over your phone to a person and you’d like to prevent them from leaving a particular app/program then consider “pinning” the app.
With the app pinned to the screen. the user won’t be able to leave the app and if they do by coincidence, they’ll be required to input your password/fingerprint to get back on the app.
It’s a must-use feature for android users to enhance security. Let’s see how to get started with app pinning on android.
How to Enable App Pinning on my Android
Although the app pinning feature might be enabled by default depending on the device, let’s still walk you through the enabling process if this is your first time coming across this feature.
- Open the Settings Option
- Scroll down and click on “Security” or “Biometrics and Security” on Samsung devices.
- Scroll down and select the “App Pinning” or “Pin Windows” option. You may need to click on “Advanced Option” or “Other Security Settings” before you see these options.
- Toggle ON the switch to ENABLE the feature if it’s not on by default.
- Click “OK” to any pop-up that might come up.
That’s it. You can further decide to add extra security by asking for a lock passcode or pattern to unpin the app, you can do this by turning “ON” the “Ask for unlock pattern before unpinning” toggle (it’s required by default tho).
How to Use App Pinning on Android
Now that we’ve learnt how to pin an app let’s pin an app and see how it works.
- Firstly, open the recent screen by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and holding it for a second or simply minimize if your device on-screen button is enabled.
- Check your recently launched app and select the one to pin.
- Tap the app icon above the preview
- Select “Pin” or “Pin this App” from the menu.
- Click on “Got it” or “OK” to any pop-up message explaining how app pinning works.
Now, let’s see how to unpin the app in case you didn’t get the pop-up message.
- Now, to unpin an app, simply minimize by swiping up and holding the gesture again.
- If you’re using a 3-button navigation, simply hold the back and recent button at the same time.
Doing any of the above will unpin the app, but if you enabled the pattern lock option, you’ll be brought back to the home screen for authentication.
Unlock the device and the app won’t be pinned anymore.
I don’t know if this works on all phones but it does work, if you want to easily leave the pinned app simply take a screenshot and crop it from the screenshot quit edit options. That’s all.
You’ll be brought back to an unpinned screen after the screenshot edit.
Now that you’ve known this, you can use this trick whenever you’re giving your phone to someone you don’t trust to prevent them from touring on your device.
This Article was Originally Posted on Lukastech Blog – We Expound Technology. If you enjoyed the post be sure to visit our site and follow us on Twitter, Facebook.
© Lukastech Inc.