This article will show you the easiest way to reset your Homepod mini to factory settings.
The Homepod mini is the smallest and cheapest version of the now-retired Homepod which was released in 2019 with color variations in white, blue, space grey, yellow, and orange.
Resetting a Homepod mini of Homepod is essential if you want to resell the gadget or gift it out, to delete any personal data or devices linked to the Homepod mini.
Also, if you’re encountering minor glitches such as WiFi connectivity while using your Homepod mini; performing a reset action can repair it.
Although there are 3 ways you can reset your Homepod, The most recommended way to reset your Homepod mini or Homepod is by pressing and holding the middle button on top of your Airpods until you get an alert from Siri.
Without wasting much of your time, let me show you how to factory reset your Homepod or Homepod mini directly, on your iPhone, iPad, or via your Mac PC.
How to Reset Your Homepod (Mini) to Factory Settings
Follow the below steps to successfully reset a Homepod mini
- Detach your Homepod mini from its power source for 10 seconds
- Plug your Homepod back into the Power adapter
- Now, wait for a few seconds then tap and hold the middle button on top of your Homepod
- At this point, the White light at the top of the Homepod will turn Red
- Hold still until you hear three beeps
- You’ll get a notification from Siri once your Homepod is about to be reset
In most cases, you’ll hear a chime sound after Siri informs you of the reset action, at this point you can then remove your hands from the middle button.
You’ll also need to set up your Homepod mini after this action has been initiated.
How to Reset a Homepod Mini with iPhone, iPad, or iPod
If you lost or gift out your Homepod mini and would love to reset it while it’s still connected to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod device then here’s a quick guide for you.
NOTE: This can only be achieved if the new owner hasn’t initiated the reset action manually.
- On your iPhone device, locate the Home app (Yellow house icon)
- Locate the Homepod Mini under the Favourite accessories section
- Click and hold on the Homepod mini
- Scroll down and tap on “Reset Homepod”
- Now, click on Remove accessory
- Confirm the action by clicking on Remove once more
- Lastly, hold for the Homepod reset action to be completed
You’ll know a reset action is successful when you hear a chime sound from your Homepod mini.
How to Reset a Homepod Mini with a Mac PC
This is a step-by-step process on how to reset your Homepod mini using your Mac laptop.
Also, this doesn’t work for the initially released Homepod since it doesn’t support the USB-C cable connection.
- Connect your Homepod mini to your Mac laptop using a type C USB cable (An orange light will illuminate)
- Open a Finder window by pressing the command + N keys at the same time
- Now, select your Homepod mini from the locations menu
- Tap on Restore Homepod (Install an update if necessary)
- Again, click on the restore button to confirm the reset action
- Next, wait for your Homepod mini reset to be completed.
- Finally, you can now disconnect your Homepod mini from your Mac PC on prompt
Once the reset is complete, you can now set up your Homepod mini with a new device, sell it out, or gift it away.
How to Reset Homepod Mini Without iPhone
There are two ways to reset a Homepod mini without iPhone, the first one is by pressing and holding the middle button on your Homepod until the reset is complete.
Secondly, you can reset your Homepod mini by connecting it to your Mac PC using a USB-C cable and initiating a restore action from the locations menu.
How to Restrict Playback Controls for Homepod from Family Members
If you added your family to your home app they’ll likely get access to control your linked accessories such as the garage opener, smart lights, and even the Homepod mini.
As regards the Homepod mini, family members will get a music control button whenever you’re playing songs on your Homepod mini and they’ll have the ability to pause the song because they’ll think their phone is playing the music.
There’s no proven way to restrict playback controls from Homepod but you can set a custom password before anyone can get access to audio and TV access.
- Open the Home app on your iOS device
- Click on the 3 dots in the top right corner of the screen
- Click on “Allow Speaker and TV access”
- Choose “Anyone on the Same network”
- Turn on “required password “ and input a custom password
Although, the playback controls might still show to family devices or anyone on the same WiFi network they’ll need a password this time to control (pause or play) music on the Homepod Mini or TV.
You can also remove them from the home app and revoke their access to all your accessories.
Why is my Homepod Mini not Connecting?
If you’re Homepod mini isn’t connecting to any of your devices then you can try any of the below-troubleshooting guides.
- Bring both devices together and try reconnecting
- Check if the Homepod mini is charged enough
- Turn your Bluetooth connection OFF and ON
- Remove a paired Bluetooth device (rare cases)
- connect to a stable wifi network
- Check the USB cable if you’re connecting to an iMac
- Reset your Homepod mini
As stated earlier, resetting a Homepod mini will help resolve Certain connection troubles. It also comes in handy when trying to resell or gift it out to protect important data and information.
This article helps you reset your Homepod and Homepod mini easily manually, on your iPhone devices and even on your Mac PC.
This Article was Originally Posted on Lukastech Blog – We Expound Technology. If you enjoyed the post be sure to visit our site and follow us on Twitter, and Facebook.
© Lukastech Inc.