Having a frozen Venmo account can be a frustrating experience, but it’s important to remember that there are steps you can take to unfreeze your account.
The two possible reasons why Venmo freezes users’ accounts are because of a failed payment transaction or breaching their security and user agreements. You can resolve the first trouble by paying back the owed money with your debit card while you’ll have to be in contact with Venmo support to resolve the latter.
After reading the above line, you would have known the possible reason why a Venmo account was frozen. You can check the mail sent from Venmo for further clarification.
In this aerials, we’ll discuss possible reasons why Venmo freezes accounts, how to Unfreeze a Venmo account, and also prevent further freeze action on your account.
Why is my Venmo Account Frozen?
From the email sent to you from Venmo, you should have known the reason why your Venmo account got frozen. However, this can happen for a variety of reasons, such as a failed Venmo payment, or security and user agreement breaches (suspected fraudulent activity or a violation of Venmo’s terms of service.).
Let’s explain how these work.
Firstly, regarding a temporarily frozen account from failed payment – whenever you make payments from your linked bank account, Venmo processes the payment from their end and waits to be credited by your bank in return.
This process often takes between 24 hours or more depending on your bank. When these payment takes longer to be cleared by your bank for any reason whatsoever, Venmo will temporarily freeze your account until the funds are repaid.
Possible reasons why bank payment fails are when a user has exceeded their ACH transfer limit or when there’s zero or insufficient balance to cover up the payment.
You can resolve this trouble by visiting venmo.com/recover and making use of a debit card to pay back the amount owed. You can also link another bank account but the process will take longer before it reached Venmo be rest assured that your Venmo account will be reinstated once your payment is completed.
Credit cards can’t be used to pay back these debts.
Secondly, in a case where your account breaches Venmo security and user agreements policies by engaging in suspected fraudulent activities. You’ll have to reach out to Venmo support.
Venmo has security installed that flags off any activity it suspects to be against Venmo user agreements or widely accepted credit card policies. Asides from freezing your account, they can reverse payment, hold the payments or request certain documentation from the user for verification.
If you believe that your transaction was in good standing and was flagged by mistake then you can reach out to Venmo by replying to the email you received when your account was frozen or contact them from their website.
Here’s a list of activities that goes against Venmo and PayPal policies.
- Violate any law, statute, ordinance, or regulation.
- Relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances, or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, € stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that are discriminatory or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.
- Relate to transactions that (a) show the personal information of third parties in violation of applicable law, (b) support pyramid or Ponzi schemes, matrix programs, other “get rich quick” schemes, or certain multi-level marketing programs, (c) are associated with purchases of annuities or lottery contracts, lay-away systems, off-shore banking or transactions to finance or refinance debts funded by a credit card, (d) are for the sale of certain items before the seller has control or possession of the item, € are by payment processors to collect payments on behalf of merchants, (f) is associated with the sale of traveler’s checks or money orders, (g) involve currency exchanges or check cashing businesses, (h) involve certain credit repair, debt settlement services, credit transactions or insurance activities, or (i) involve offering or receiving payments for the purpose of bribery or corruption.
- Involve the sales of products or services identified by government agencies to have a high likelihood of being fraudulent.
- Relate to transactions involving any activity that requires pre-approval without having obtained said approval.
You can get a complete overview from PayPals acceptable use policy page.
How to Unfreeze My Venmo Account
Now that you’ve figured out the possible reason why your Venmo account was frozen, let’s show you what you can do to unfreeze your Venmo account, Reddit.
Account Frozen due to a failed Payment.
If your Venmo account was frozen because of a failed payment then you should repay the owed amount with a debit card to reinstate your account. This can be done by following the prompt on the app or logging in to the web browser via venmo.com/recover
These types of actions are often temporarily provided when you pay back the amount that your bank refused to pay back to Venmo. You can either use a debit card or another bank account with a sufficient amount for the repayment.
Most times, your Venmo balance will be negative; depicting that there’s a repayment that needs to be done. Using your debit card is the best resolution because using a bank account can take an additional 3 – 5 days to clear off.
In another development, Venmo gave users the option to make partial payments by editing the amount they want to clear off in the meantime and then balancing it up later.
Also, you can ask a friend to send you a payment equivalent to the amount owed to clear off the debts if you don’t have a debit card or bank account to link.
Venmo states that “Any payments you receive on your Venmo account will automatically be applied to the amount you owe to Venmo.” You can read more an about this here – https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/217532077
Repayments can’t be made using a credit card.
Account Frozen due to Security or User Agreements Breaches
If your Venmo account was frozen due to your account going against their accepted policies then you should contact their support through the Venmo ticket form – https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=624807
Alternatively, you can try reaching out to them via the chat feature on the mobile app.
However, this doesn’t guarantee that your account will be reinstated as you could be faulted and discontinued from using the app.
To prevent future issues with your Venmo account, be sure to review their terms of service and follow their guidelines for using the app.
This includes avoiding fraudulent activity, such as using fake names or addresses, and ensuring that any transactions are legitimate and authorized by all parties involved. If you do have a dispute or issue with a transaction, be sure to work with Venmo support to resolve the issue and avoid any potential problems with your account.
In addition, ensure to add the funds first to your Venmo balance before making a payment to prevent Venmo from locking your account In the future for a failed payment.
How Long Does it take to Unfreeze Venmo Account?
The amount of time it’ll take for Venmo to unfreeze your account depends on the type of repayment method used and the reason why your account was frozen.
If it’s a case of a failed payment and you made a repayment using your Venmo balance or debit card, it should usually take minutes to unfreeze your account. However, using a bank account for the repayment might take an extra 3 to 5 days before completion.
Now, if your account was frozen for security and user agreement breaches, it could take longer before your account will be reinstated, or worst of all; it might never be reinstated.
The decision is left for the support to make after examining the case and there’s no stipulated time frame for this review.
What happens when Venmo freezes your account?
When Venmo freezes your account, your transaction on the app will be limited until you either pay back the amount owed or reach out to their customer support. Also If the account was frozen due to a failed Payment, any incoming payment will be automatically charged.
How do I unfreeze my Venmo 2023?
To unfreeze your Venmo, use a debit card to pay back the amount owed to Venmo or reach out to Venmo support for further information on the status of your account.
How long does it take for Venmo to unfreeze your account?
It usually takes minutes to 5 days depending on the reason for the freeze. Repayments made using debit cards clear faster than that made with a bank account.
How do I know if my Venmo account is still frozen?
Check the email address linked to your Venmo account for information regarding the account freeze and the next action to take.